The mission of the Global Internet Forum to Counter Terrorism (GIFCT) is to prevent terrorists and violent extremists from exploiting digital platforms. The Forum was set up by its four founding member companies—Facebook, Microsoft, Twitter and YouTube — and focuses on knowledge sharing, technical collaboration and shared research across its 19 member platforms and wider stakeholder community.
In 2019 GIFCT was established as an independent, non-governmental organization led by an Executive Director and supported by a dedicated technology, counterterrorism and operations team. GIFCT now seeks an Executive Director to continue the upward momentum of the organization, focusing on GIFCT’s core mission, global membership expansion and multi-stakeholder engagement.
The ideal candidate will be expert in leading and managing non-profit, non-governmental or governmental organizations and have the ability to align divergent interests and perspectives from multiple stakeholders. Additional experience of working with or as part of the tech sector is preferred along with an understanding of how terrorists and violent extremists may exploit digital platforms. The candidate should also have experience or understanding of working for an Executive Board or Advisory Council.
The Executive Director will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of GIFCT, which involves facilitating cross-functional alignment with a wide range of stakeholders. The Executive Director will also be responsible for:
- Setting out GIFCT’s vision in a clear strategic plan and managing all aspects of its delivery and operational work
- Serving as the GIFCT representative on the Operating Board alongside the founding companies and Chair of the Independent Advisory Committee
- Fostering collaboration among existing industry members, growing and delivering programs in support of GIFCT’s mission Strategically identifying and recruiting new industry members and expanding fundraising
- Soliciting and incorporating input and feedback from civil society and government advisors, including the GIFCT Independent Advisory Committee
- Engaging academics, foundations and philanthropic organizations to position GIFCT as a global thought leader
- 10+ years in senior leadership roles within national security, technology, non-profit, or start up organizations
- A stellar leadership track record, ideally in the tech industry, government, or civil society and in a position with external stakeholder engagement
- Significant knowledge of or operational experience with technology policy issues and how they interact with human rights standards, counterterrorism, countering violent extremism and cyber security
- Proven track record in operations, communications, and complex stakeholder management
- Experience engaging with boards of directors, senior leaders of technology companies, government officials, civil society and academia in national and international fora
- Bachelors’ degree or equivalent is required, post graduate study welcomed
- Understand the challenges that technology companies of all sizes have in addressing terrorists’ and violent extremists’ exploitation of member platforms
- Capable of integrating divergent needs into a coherent and sustainable organizational program
- Recognize and be able to balance the importance of reducing the harm associated with content and behavior on technology platforms with society’s expectations for privacy, and principles of free expression and other fundamental rights.
If you’re interested in applying, please follow this application link or contact [email protected] with questions.
GIFCT is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Membership and Communications Associate or Senior Associate
The Global Internet Forum to Counter Terrorism (GIFCT) is seeking a full-time Communications and Membership Senior Associate who can help us in our mission to prevent terrorists and violent extremists from exploiting digital platforms.
GIFCT envisions a world in which the technology sector marshals its collective creativity and capacity to render terrorists and violent extremists ineffective online. In every aspect of our work, GIFCT aims to be transparent, inclusive, and respectful of the fundamental and universal human rights that terrorists and violent extremists seek to undermine.
About the Role
How can GIFCT better support its member companies’ ability to counter violent extremism online? How can we communicate the impact of our global multi-stakeholder efforts in a way that inspires ripple effects?
These questions will be and remain top of mind for the Membership and Communications (Senior) Associate across their dynamic portfolio. They will be passionate about our mission, comfortable communicating with international stakeholders, and an expert at coordinating and tracking progress across workstreams. As a key player on a small, agile team, they will be integral to the efficient execution of cross-sector projects and events by managing up, communicating clearly, and embracing a willingness to learn with everything they do.
We rely on the integrity, passion, and collaboration of our team to achieve results greater than the sum of our parts. The Membership and Communications (Senior) Associate will share these values and bring their own perspective, experience, and ideas to the table.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Membership: Support the development and implementation of GIFCT’s overall membership strategy and approach, as well as priority GIFCT member-related engagements and communications. Work with and across GIFCT teams to ensure members have easy access to GIFCT expertise and resources. Serve as the primary point of contact for members regarding all GIFCT events, including its signature Global Summit.
- Communications: Work with our Communications Lead to harmonize GIFCT public communications and messaging, external-facing resources, and annual reporting. Coordinate responses to and prioritization of incoming requests and opportunities for external engagements. Ensure internal and external communication resources are consistently up-to-date, refreshed, and accessible to the GIFCT team, member companies, and stakeholders.
- Administrative and Other Duties as Assigned: Support the efficiency of cross-team efforts by supporting information sharing tools and processes. As part of a small team, maintain a can do and will do attitude. Understand, appreciate, and lean into what it means to be a key player in an agile organization.
What you need
- Commitment to GIFCT’s values of inclusion, transparency, and a real-world reduction in activity carried out by terrorists and violent extremists
- Top-tier VIP management skills with diverse global stakeholders (e.g., clients, donors, board members)
- Excellent project management skills; strong attention to and coordination of details and deadlines to ensure a remote team and multiple projects stay organized, coordinated, and on track
- Expert writing and content creation skills for external audiences
- A mature, confident, proactive approach to supporting the diverse GIFCT community and represent the organization at international events
- Strong verbal and written communication; a proven ability to effectively communicate with stakeholders in different geographies, disciplines, and sectors
- An innovative, self-starter mentality coupled with a history of successfully designing and delivering impactful projects or programs with little or no oversight
- At least three years of work experience, ideally involving project management, client management, communications, development or fundraising, customer service, or countering violent extremism
Beneficial Skills and Experiences
- On-record experience or experience in a public-facing professional role
- Event coordination, production, or development experience ranging from entertainment to politics to global thought leader convenings
- Strong interest in and familiarity with the fields of countering terrorism, countering violent extremism, countering political violence, technology, or human rights
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline; an advanced degree in the field would be an asset
Position Details and Benefits
- Permanent full-time position located in London, Washington DC or the ability to work remotely
- Expected travel up to 15 percent, including visits to GIFCT offices in Washington D.C. or London, site visits with member companies, and other international event support
- Salary to be commensurate with experience and location
- Associate Range: $55,000 to $62,000
- Senior Associate Range: $65,000 to $83,000
- People-centered, competitive benefits, including fully covered health insurance and flexible work hours and location
To be considered for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to [email protected] In the cover letter, please concisely share one example of your experience with each of the following: (1) diverse VIP stakeholder engagement, (2) project management, and (3) writing or content creation.
Priority will be given to applications received prior to February 21, 2023.
GIFCT’s core values are transparency, inclusion, and respect for fundamental and universal human rights. Our team’s strength lies in its diversity of lived experience and expertise, and we strongly encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
Due to the high volume of applications that we receive, we are only able to respond to applicants who are selected for an interview, but we sincerely thank you for your interest in GIFCT and taking the time to apply.