Platforms that join the GIFCT are dedicated to responsibly addressing terrorist content on their services. Platforms that meet the criteria below are welcome to apply here.
The GIFCT's mission is to prevent terrorists and violent extremists from exploiting digital platforms. Member companies support the GIFCT’s aim to significantly disrupt terrorist exploitation of the internet and agree to have:
- content standards that explicitly prohibit the promotion of terrorism in their terms of service, community guidelines, or other publicly available content policies
- the ability to receive and act on reports of illegal activity or activity violating terms of service
- a desire to explore new technical solutions to content and conduct challenges
- regular, public data transparency
- a public commitment to respecting human rights, particularly free expression and privacy, when implementing content removal policies, and
- support for expanding the capacity of civil society organizations to challenge violent extremism
Members also agree that governments will not be able to remove terrorist content directly from company platforms.
The executive board of the GIFCT will decide which applicants meet the membership criteria and has final approval of new members. Membership is not automatic.
After joining the GIFCT, members may designate a representative to participate in a monthly coordination call. Voting rights are limited to the four founding GIFCT companies.
GIFCT Members include: Facebook, Microsoft, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, Dropbox, Amazon, LinkedIn, Mega.nz, Instagram and WhatsApp
Apply for GIFCT membership here.