Platforms that join the GIFCT are dedicated to responsibly addressing terrorist content on their services. Platforms that meet the criteria below are welcome to apply here.
A key objective of the GIFCT is to set a baseline standard across industry for addressing terrorist content online. Member companies support the GIFCT’s aim to significantly disrupt terrorist exploitation of the internet and agree to have:
- content standards that explicitly prohibit the promotion of terrorism in their terms of service, community guidelines, or other publicly available content policies
- the ability to receive and act on reports relating to content on their platforms
- a desire to explore new technical solutions to content and conduct challenges
- regular, public data transparency
- a public commitment to respecting human rights, particularly free expression and privacy, when implementing content removal policies, and
- support for expanding the capacity of civil society organizations to challenge violent extremism
Member also agree that governments will not be able to remove terrorist content directly from company platforms.
The executive board of the GIFCT will decide which applicants meet the membership criteria and has final approval of new members. Membership is not automatic.
After joining the GIFCT, members may designate a representative to participate in a monthly coordination call. Voting rights are limited to the four founding GIFCT companies.