The mission of the Global Internet Forum to Counter Terrorism (GIFCT) is to prevent terrorists and violent extremists from exploiting digital platforms. The Forum was set up by its four founding member companies—Facebook, Microsoft, Twitter and YouTube — and focuses on knowledge sharing, technical collaboration and shared research across its 19 member platforms and wider stakeholder community.
In 2019 GIFCT was established as an independent, non-governmental organization led by an Executive Director and supported by a dedicated technology, counterterrorism and operations team. GIFCT now seeks an Executive Director to continue the upward momentum of the organization, focusing on GIFCT’s core mission, global membership expansion and multi-stakeholder engagement.
The ideal candidate will be expert in leading and managing non-profit, non-governmental or governmental organizations and have the ability to align divergent interests and perspectives from multiple stakeholders. Additional experience of working with or as part of the tech sector is preferred along with an understanding of how terrorists and violent extremists may exploit digital platforms. The candidate should also have experience or understanding of working for an Executive Board or Advisory Council.
The Executive Director will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of GIFCT, which involves facilitating cross-functional alignment with a wide range of stakeholders. The Executive Director will also be responsible for:
- Setting out GIFCT’s vision in a clear strategic plan and managing all aspects of its delivery and operational work
- Serving as the GIFCT representative on the Operating Board alongside the founding companies and Chair of the Independent Advisory Committee
- Fostering collaboration among existing industry members, growing and delivering programs in support of GIFCT’s mission Strategically identifying and recruiting new industry members and expanding fundraising
- Soliciting and incorporating input and feedback from civil society and government advisors, including the GIFCT Independent Advisory Committee
- Engaging academics, foundations and philanthropic organizations to position GIFCT as a global thought leader
- 10+ years in senior leadership roles within national security, technology, non-profit, or start up organizations
- A stellar leadership track record, ideally in the tech industry, government, or civil society and in a position with external stakeholder engagement
- Significant knowledge of or operational experience with technology policy issues and how they interact with human rights standards, counterterrorism, countering violent extremism and cyber security
- Proven track record in operations, communications, and complex stakeholder management
- Experience engaging with boards of directors, senior leaders of technology companies, government officials, civil society and academia in national and international fora
- Bachelors’ degree or equivalent is required, post graduate study welcomed
- Understand the challenges that technology companies of all sizes have in addressing terrorists’ and violent extremists’ exploitation of member platforms
- Capable of integrating divergent needs into a coherent and sustainable organizational program
- Recognize and be able to balance the importance of reducing the harm associated with content and behavior on technology platforms with society’s expectations for privacy, and principles of free expression and other fundamental rights.
GIFCT is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
The Global Internet Forum to Counter Terrorism (GIFCT) envisions a world in which the technology sector marshals its collective creativity and capacity to render terrorists and violent extremists ineffective online. In every aspect of our work, GIFCT aims to be transparent, inclusive, and respectful of the fundamental and universal human rights that terrorists and violent extremists seek to undermine.
About the Role
GIFCT is a 501(c)(3) organization seeking a full-time Director of Operations who can drive our internal strategy and day-to-day operations.
As someone who loves designing processes, coordinating teams, attention to detail, and diligent management to ensure follow-through, you will thrive leading GIFCT’s strategic planning, financial management, internal communications, human resources, and daily operations. As an organizational leader, you will play a key role in building our infrastructure and team while modeling our values of inclusion and transparency in everything you do.
You will learn from, grow with, and report directly to our Executive Director who will serve as a coach, mentor, and enabler so you can drive the team, projects, and GIFCT community forward through:
- Financial Management: Create and implement best practices to manage, project, and safeguard the company’s financial position, including through revenue and cost projection, monthly reconciliations, tax filing and auditing oversight, overseeing accounts payable and receivable, and implementing internal cost controls. Create and manage financial policies, processes, and tools. Facilitate and track fundraising efforts and membership engagement.
- Contracting, Compliance, and Risk Management: Identify, facilitate, and manage strong contractual relationships with vendors, partners, and grantees. Create and maintain GIFCT’s Employee Handbook to ensure our policies align with our values and clearly communicate expectations regarding the workplace, travel, finances, professional development, and compensation. Maintain vigilant awareness of relevant employment practices and regulations. Work closely with our counsel to create, facilitate, tailor, and execute legal agreements.
- Vendor, Systems, Resource and Office Management: Identify and manage strategic and cost-effective vendor relationships that support the day-to-day operations of the organization. Lead knowledge management, including how information is shared and stored online. Oversee our customer relationship management platform and usage. Work with our Technology Team to create and uphold safe and secure digital and physical spaces across our work locations throughout the United States and United Kingdom. Liaise with property owners and oversee installations, maintenance, and shipments.
- Human Resources and Personnel Support: Manage recruiting, hiring, onboarding, and offboarding processes for full-time employees and contractors. Embed principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout GIFCT’s processes and policies to foster a culture of belonging. Implement and continuously update a Wellbeing Strategy with corresponding resources for team members.
- Cross-team Communication and Strategic Planning: Introduce and oversee tools and standard operating procedures to support effective cross-organizational collaboration. Lead internal communication practices, including staff meetings, online channels, and shared calendars. Advise the Executive Director on staffing structures to facilitate effective resource utilization, and personnel management, and team development. Support the Executive Director in organizational strategy development and tracking, as well as their own priorities and engagement, both internally and externally.
- Support and Management of Governance Communications: Assist the Executive Director and Executive Assistant in liaising with our Operating Board Members and Independent Advisory Committee. Support preparation for and participation in biweekly meetings with the Board Chair and quarterly meetings with the Board and Independent Advisory Council. Support the Executive Assistant in establishing working relationships across governance bodies to ensure all stakeholders have the information and access needed to work effectively.
- Other Duties as Assigned: We rely on the integrity, passion, and collaboration of our team to achieve results greater than the sum of our parts. As part of a small team, maintain a can do and will do attitude. Understand, appreciate, and lean into what it means to be a key player in an agile organization.
What you need
- Commitment to GIFCT’s mission and values of inclusion, transparency, and respect for fundamental and human rights
- Financial literacy and experience overseeing and managing budgets
- A passion for and history of success developing and maintaining well-organized administrative systems
- Proactive communication, support, and professionalism with VIP global stakeholders across industries
- Experience with project and people management
- Consistent, reliable attention to and communication of details
- Judiciousness, especially with sensitive organizational information
- Self-starter mentality; a history of proactively and successfully designing and delivering impactful projects with limited direction or oversight
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with a variety of stakeholders
- Familiarity with start-ups, young companies, or international nongovernmental organizations will be helpful
Position Details and Benefits:
- Position Type: Permanent, full-time with expected travel up to 5%
- Salary: $156,000 to $208,000, to be commensurate with location and experience
- Benefits: people-centered, competitive benefits, including fully covered medical insurance and flexible work hours and location.
- Preferred Start: January 2023
To be considered for this position, please submit a resume, contact information for three references, and a cover letter to [email protected] in one packet. Priority will be given to applications received prior to December 9, 2022.
We strongly encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. GIFCT is an equal opportunity employer. No applicant will be denied equal opportunity for consideration because of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, status as a parent, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors.
GIFCT is registered as Cap-Exempt for H1-B visa sponsorship and can support sponsorship for eligible applicants to work from Washington DC, California, or Pennsylvania.
Due to the high volume of applications that we receive, we are only able to respond to applicants who are selected for an interview, but we thank you for your interest in GIFCT and taking the time to apply.